10 Household Items That Are Poisonous To Dogs



Dogs are curious creatures and will often explore their surroundings with their mouths.


This can sometimes lead to them ingesting things that are poisonous, which can be harmful or even deadly.


In this blog post, we will discuss 10 common household items that are poisonous to dogs.


If you have a dog, it is important to keep these items out of reach and be aware of the dangers they pose.

1. Chocolate



Dogs have been our loyal companions for centuries, and we love them dearly. So it's natural that we want to share everything with them, including our chocolate.


However, it's important to remember that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.


Theobromine, a compound found in cacao beans, is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.


In small quantities, theobromine may only cause mild illness, but large amounts can be lethal.


Due to their size and metabolism, dogs are particularly vulnerable to the effects of theobromine.


So next time you're tempted to give your pup a piece of your candy bar, think twice - it could be the last thing you ever give them.

2. Antifreeze



Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which is extremely toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.


If you think your dog has ingested antifreeze, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as this can be a life-threatening emergency.



3. Grapes and Raisins



Grapes and raisins are favorite snacks for many people, but did you know that they can be poisonous to dogs?


Although the exact mechanism is unknown, grapes and raisins have been linked to kidney failure in dogs.


Symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and abdominal pain. If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, treatment may involve induced vomiting and administration of intravenous fluids.


With prompt treatment, most dogs make a full recovery. However, delays can lead to serious complications, so it is always best to err on the side of caution.



4. Onions and Garlic



Many people are unaware that onions and garlic are poisonous to dogs. Both of these vegetables contain compounds that can damage a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia.


In serious cases, onion and garlic poisoning can be fatal. Even small amounts of these vegetables can be harmful to dogs, so it is important to keep them out of reach.


5. Xylitol (a sugar substitute)



Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used as a sugar substitute. It is safe for humans to consume, but it can be deadly for dogs.


When dogs eat products containing xylitol, their blood sugar levels drop sharply, causing them to go into hypoglycemic shock. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include vomiting, weakness, seizures, and collapse. If left untreated, xylitol poisoning can be fatal.


Fortunately, there are many xylitol-free products available that are safe for dogs.


When choosing a sweetener for your home, be sure to check the label carefully to ensure that it does not contain xylitol.



6. Macadamia Nuts



Macadamia nuts are a popular snack food, but many people don't realize that they can be poisonous to dogs.


The toxins in macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and tremors in dogs. In severe cases, the symptoms can progress to seizures and even death.


If you suspect that your dog has eaten macadamia nuts, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.


Even a small amount of macadamia nuts can be dangerous to dogs, so it is best to keep them away from pets altogether.



7. Coffee and Tea



Many people enjoy starting their day with a cup of coffee or tea, but did you know that these common beverages can be poisonous to dogs?


Both coffee and tea contain caffeine, which is a stimulant that can be dangerous for dogs in large amounts.


Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, panting, sweating, increased heart rate, vomiting, and diarrhea.


In severe cases, caffeine poisoning can lead to seizures, coma, and even death. It is always best to err on the side of caution and keep coffee and tea out of reach of your furry friend.



8. Alcohol



Just as humans are susceptible to the effects of alcohol, so too are dogs.


Alcohol consumption can cause a number of problems for dogs, including dehydration, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can even lead to coma or death. Because of this, it's important to keep alcoholic beverages out of reach of pets.


If you suspect that your dog has consumed alcohol, contact your veterinarian immediately.


Early treatment can help to minimize the potentially harmful effects of alcohol poisoning.



9. House Plants



While house plants can add beauty and life to your home, it's important to choose carefully if you have pets.


Many common house plants are poisonous to dogs, and ingesting even a small amount can lead to serious health problems. Some of the most common offenders include aloe vera, dieffenbachia, and philodendron.


If you suspect your dog has eaten a poisonous plant, seek veterinary care immediately.


Symptoms of plant poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and difficulty breathing. With prompt treatment, most dogs will recover quickly from plant poisoning. However, in severe cases, it can be fatal.


To play it safe, do your research before bringing any new plants into your home.

10. Fabric Softener Sheets



The chemicals in fabric softener sheets can cause gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression in dogs.


In severe cases, contact with fabric softener sheets can lead to liver damage and death. If you use fabric softener sheets, be sure to keep them out of reach of your furry friend. Your dog will thank you for it!


Final Thoughts


It’s important to be aware of these dangers and take the necessary precautions to protect your furry friends.


Keep all potentially harmful items out of reach, make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water available, and contact your veterinarian if you think your dog has ingested a poisonous substance.


Most importantly, always love and cherish your four-legged family members!


What are some other common household items that can be dangerous for dogs?


Let us know in the comments below.

Recent Posts

See All