Updated: May 19
A new puppy is an exciting addition to any family. But, before you bring your new furry friend home, there are a few things you need to do to get prepared. This checklist will help you make sure you have everything you need for your new puppy.
1. Choose the right breed for your lifestyle. Do some research and find a breed that will fit well with your family and home.
2. Get all the supplies you need. This includes things like food and water bowls, a collar and leash, toys, a bed, and crates or gates if needed.
3. Puppy proof your home. Go through your house and look for anything that could be dangerous to a small puppy. Remove anything that could be swallowed, chewed on, or create an escape route.
4. Set up a potty area. If you plan on using pee pads or going outside to do their business, make sure you have an area set up and ready to go.
5. Make a schedule. Dogs thrive on routine. Having a set schedule for meals, potty break, walks, and playtime will help your puppy feel comfortable and settled in their new home.
6. Start training right away. Puppies are never too young to start learning basic obedience commands like sit, stay, come, and down. Training will help you bond with your puppy and establish yourself as the leader of the pack.
7. Socialize, socialize, socialize! It is important that your puppy is exposed to as many different people, animals, and situations as possible so they can grow up to be a well-rounded dog.
Bringing home a new puppy is a lot of work but it is also a lot of fun. By following this checklist, you will be prepared for everything that comes with owning a new puppy.
Have you recently brought home a new puppy? What tips would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below!